The Bible and the Book of Mormon

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Scripture Testimonies Spiritual Experiences

Spiritual Experiences

E-mail Print PDF


Our oldest son got married back last May and He also bought a house in a nice spot in Sydney, Australia where we live, Under the circumstance his house was in need to some improvements and some repairing. I fitted a burglary alarm for him, plus I basically did almost the whole electrical rewiring and replaced the power points, mostly of the light fittings and other things. He had brought four sets of down lights and each set having four lights. They were nice to look upon, expensive, but very hard to have them fitted.

On the 4Th of September, 2002; before leaving my home I went to my room to pray, something I always do, and at this time I prayed asking my Heavenly Father to assist me on the light fittings on my son's house, that everything may go smoothly for me. I managed to fit one set without much difficulty and I was glad I did, then I moved to the second one with some challenge, when I had finished I went on making some adjustments and in this process one of the bulb and its holder made of porcelain or something similar to this failed down on the floor and both got broken. Being alone in the house I shouted loudly: Oh God, that is not what I had asked Thee. Why has Thou forsaken me? Do I deserve this? At this point I decided to rest for a while for I desired to reflect upon. I expected God to bless me in a such way that nothing of this nature would happen to me. Under this circumstance I went to the back veranda, I sat down, I put my head down and for about 20 minutes I did nothing, but wondering and pondering on what had just taken place. I didn't say any more words after that and neither did I prayed. Even though still in this frame of mind, after a while I no longer was angry.

When I returned to the light fittings I immediately realized it was not my fault, it wasn't of any negligence of mine at all. The beauty of the whole light complex was still there, but as far as the design is concerning it must be the worse I have encountered so far. The holder and the down light bulb failed down on their own because there was not much in there in the frame to hold them in place in the first instant. My innocent God got the blame, but I must say I felt terribly sorrow and I deeply regretted.

I am in the habit of always praying and my Heavenly Father always answers my prayers. however, I am also in the habit to believe that He is always in obligation to bless me, no matter what. And when a little trial like this happens to me, I sometimes get angry with him. But I excuse not myself, I am absolutely wrong and I don't recommend any nobody to take after me in that sense of rebellions. I am much to blame myself and I realize I should embrace whatsoever comes to me and make the best of it. So I should, I still have much to learn. On the other hand, I am so much in this habit of praying and my mind is so always turned towards God that sometimes I start praying and in the middle of my prayer I often ask myself: What I am praying for? And then I thank Him anyway. He knows me and He knows that I do this out of my thinking and that I have no intentions to offend Him. This happens mostly often when I am working, walking, driving, waiting to sleep and when I wake up in the middle of the night. Apart from that I always pray consciously and I have continuously acknowledged He has always answered and blessed me. Of this I know and for such I am earnestly grateful to Him forever.

Unfortunately, while in that frame of disturbance when I was wondering and pondering I committed to God because of my disappointment, I would not pray to Him for the rest of that day as a revenge If I may put in this way. That is not something I normally do, but as you can see at that time I was running down and as a consequence I felt lacking in persuasion, vulnerable. Nevertheless, my expectation from Him is always too great for I am so much used to his blesses continually, that, as I have stated before I am in the habit to believe He must act miraculously for me at all times. That is not the right attitude of mine, I must overcome this of course, but He knows me and at the end He always forgives me and accepts me in again into his fold.

However, In the instant I realized I was being so silly for a such little thing, beside God would have to perform a miracle just for me to have held the holder and the down light in place just for my sake, I felt terribly awful. God would have to change science just to fit my purpose, in this case the gravity force, this does not make any sense at all. God would not do that to please anybody under such circumstance, my expectation was definitely out of question. with this realization I immediately softened my heart and I started praying again and asking Him to forgive me. I reconciled and reasoned with Him that I can not be without Him. After that I continued with the task until completely finished. When my son came later in the evening, I showed to him the job I had done and mentioned of all the difficulties involved in the fittings and adjustments, except of my rebellions to my Almighty Maker. Incidentally as soon as he touched one of them, it failed down on the floor and he witnessed for himself. I had to say no more, it was so evidently clear to him. On the next day he decided to have the whole lot taken away and within a couple of days later I fitted instead 18 down lights for him. With all those adds and improvements the house now has a different looking and our son and his wife have moved in.

I am so used to pray that when I pray my words are very simple, and I am so used with Our Heavenly Father as being my best friend I have. I never saw him and certainly I never will in my mortality, nevertheless I have felt Him many times around me. Particularly, I remember back in 1982 while I was living a life with so much righteousness that when I used to pray was just if Our Heavenly Father was not far from me. I knew He was there, I just could not see Him. I will not relate at this present time, but suffers me to say at that year I just mentioned I was abundantly blessed, and the blesses were so many I could write a book.That was certainly my most blessed year. When I reflect back I wished I had kept that faith and righteousness with me, I would have grown further and further, I would have been a better person today, much better. Needless to say He still loves me the same today, He has not changed anything, if things are not the same the failure is in me. Even so my mind and my heart are still always toward Him, so much I am always in habit to pray, my desire is always to call upon Him as when a real friend call upon another. He is my God, yes and indeed, and at the same time He is my best friend. When everybody seems to be against me He is beside me. Whenever I am rejected He is in love with me. May I say this, He is undoubtedly a lovely Heavenly Father, I wish I was purer I could worship Him better. My intentions are all there still, I just need enduring to the end to serve Him in any capacity He may want me to.

So far this story may not sound like a testimony, but to me it is a testimony of faith, of prayer and of a closeness relationship to Our Heavenly Father despite of my weakness accordingly to my flesh. I am very much inclined to believe in perfection, even though I find extremely hard to conquer in my mortality. Probably I never will, I can only try very hard. Who has ever achieved anyway? I believe Our Lord Jesus Christ is the only one who ever lived a perfect life while mortal. Perfection in mortality is something that I believe it will only belong to Our Saviour. He was the only one who ever mastered this impossible dream. To me it will only remain a dream, a dream which I can never dream in my mortal days.

In that same day before retiring to my bed I went down on my knees and I prayed as usually I do before going to bed. I thanked Him for the blessings of the day and once again I asked Him to forgive me. I told Him I am always worried about my salvation and I can not stand safely without Him. I said He always blesses me and I acknowledged every single blessing in my heart. I asked Him to bless my family and I asked Him to grant me a nice night sleep. Now, if I prayed for any other purpose, I can not tell I can not remember.

In this same night I had a dream. I dreamed I was having a conversation with George Weeb on the telephone, he was telling me only one cell was good, the rest of the cells were no good. Whether he was referring to his own body this I can not say. After a while he asked me to excuse himself and he would come back to me. In the mean time while waiting for him I came to realize I was talking to a dead man and I thought to myself: What I am doing? He is dead, what I am doing? What shall I do? I somehow got alarmed and some thoughts went through my mind. At one point I thought: What about if he takes advantage of me and try to possess of my body? In this frame of mind I noticed I started loosing my voice and my strength, and I felt very hopeless for quite some time. It appears this struggle lasted something up to 10 seconds before I could regain of my conscious again. My friend never returned to the telephone reception and I woke up.

I felt then released from this experience and my voice, my strength all returned to normal. I then wondered why I had this dream and I tried to reason the meaning of it. I immediately related it to the story I had just read a couple of days before hand in the internet. I also felt the prompting of the Spirit testifying to me that my dead friend is in need of help, he is relying on me to have his Temple ordinances performed for him. George knows I am the only one he certainly knew before his death as being a member of the LDS CHURCH. Sleeping again for me was no longer possible after that and so I decided to go downstairs where I remained for quite some time and I contemplated all over again. I knew then I have had a dream and I dreamed for a reason beyond my own control. I don't know how you will feel, I feel as if a link between Spiritual World and Earth took place, just long enough to carry on an important message. The most notarial part of this whole experience I believe is the manifestation of the Holy Ghost who testifies of the Father and of the Son Jesus Christ. After all the Spiritual World is so much a part of the plain of salvation, which is the plain of our Heavenly Father.

Let me now give you a brief description of George Weeb, so you can see what kind of relationship existed between him and I. He was a friend of mine and at one stage he was my boss back in 1989, I think that was the year, I need to do some research on that and also in few other things. We went reasonable well, however we never talked intimately about family bonds and as a consequence I know literally nothing about his own family except I think he mentioned once he had a grown daughter. He was nice but occasionally he was short of tamper, I guess he had already the seed of cancer planted in his body without his knowledge, and this can certainly affect the behaviour of a suffer. Eventually the cancer spread further on, he had an operation and I visited him at the hospital at that occasion to avail him nothing. The disease continued over spreading until eventually he went to rest forever in 1991 I think. My guess is that he was about 60 years old or something around that figure.

Occasionally I had spoken to him about the Church and the Book of Mormon specially at the remaining days of his life. For some reason he did not quite accepted, except now I believe he has and he must be anxious to prosper and grow spiritually over there beyond the veil. He certainly knows I can help him on this issue, reason why I had this dream. As I said before, I have some research before me to undergo about him before I will be able to file his request in the Temple.

I am Michael De Souza a converter to the Church since 1977, if I would to relate to all my testimonies I would certainly fill a large volume, that is something I would love to do after my retiring. I am 53 years old married and we have six children. We are far to be a perfect family, but we are all together still united. We have much to learn and to perfect as a family, undoubtedly myself. I am glad I am still alive so my whole chances are continually rolling before me, with faith and a tremendous desire for righteousness I am sure I will get there where others have gone and got. Needless to say, by sharing our true testimonies with one to another we are able to learn to love one another, ant at the same time we are able to testify the truthfulness of the restored Gospel, the loving care of Our Heavenly Father, the plain of salvation, our Saviour the Lord Jesus Christ and the influence of the Holy Ghost who is always manifested. By the Spirit we may know all things and only by him we may know all truth. If so you wish to contact me here is my personal

The story I mentioned earlier I had read on the internet really touched my heart and left on my mind an impression forever. I mostly assuredly believed even before I had read it, I sensed that feeling of truth before hand, the Spirit had already worked on me, what an amazing experience. I read anyway to be acquainted with the facts and also to gain knowledge. It is undoubtedly a remarkable story and above all is true. you would certainly love it, if you wish to read for yourself here is the link:

My daughter, Kathleen, was 15... too young to seriously date but she had a boyfriend. One evening, when I was leaving to pick up my son, Paul, from baseball practice, she asked if she could just go with her
boyfriend to pick up his little brother at a friend's house. She said they would come right back. I said, "Alright, just make sure you wear your seat belt, and come right home."

It was my father's birthday and my youngest daughter, Therese, was already at my father's house waiting for us to come over with the cake I had yet to pick up at the store. I left to pick Paul up at school, but
decided to take the highway, rather than the shortcut along the back roads. After leaving the school, Paul and I ran in the store for the cake and some last minute goodies. As we were getting into the car,
we heard and saw paramedics, fire trucks, three ambulances and of course a multitude of police cars.

I got a sick feeling in my stomach and said to Paul, "Somebody needs our prayers, quick." I wondered if there was a fire or a bad car accident. At one of the intersections I had to stop to let more emergency vehicles through, and prayed, "Lord, those people need you right now, go to them and place your protective hand over them."

We stopped at my parents to drop off the food, before going home to pick up Kathleen, but my father met me at the car and told us to postpone the party because Therese had fallen asleep.

"Which way did you go to the school?" he asked, "Because there was a bad accident on the back road, I heard someone was killed. It happened just about the time you had to pick up Paul at the school and I know you always go that way. I was so happy to see you pull in, I had a gut feeling it was you.

As Paul and I drove the short distance home, I could see our house was dark and when Kathleen is home alone, she always burned every light.

As I turned off the ignition, tears fell, "It was Kathleen," I told Paul, "I know it." I ran in the house and checked our answering machine, no one had called. I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking that someone
would have called by now. "Paranoid," that's what Kathleen always called me, and that's what I was telling myself, "Your just paranoid!"

Then, the phone rang. It was her friend's mother, who worked in the Emergency room of our local hospital. She only told me that the three of themwere in an accident and were being transported to the hospital.

I didn't call my husband at work, nor my parents. Paul and I just left for the hospital. As I pulled into the parking lot, one of the paramedics, someone we have known for years, met us at our car. "I'm sorry,
I'm so sorry," he said with tears streaming down his face.

The next thing I remember after was talking to the doctor in the hallway of the ER. He asked me if I believed in God, and with that my knees gave way. "No," he said, "you don't understand, do you believe in
divine intervention?"

I stammered, a weak, "Yes." Not having a clue what he was talking about. He smiled at me and asked, "Do you know what shirt your daughter is wearing, tonight?"

Shaking my head no, he told me to go down the hall and look. "Your daughter is blessed with angels and so are you. From what the emergency personnel told me, there is no way that your daughter should be alive, let alone only have a few scratches. "

Kathleen was laying on a cart, waiting for more x-rays. When I got to her, we both sobbed. As I was hugging her I had the urge to check her shirt, unzipping her jacket. I read the words, "Jesus Saves." I knew then, what the doctor had meant.

All three were treated and released. On the way home that night, Kathleen told this story:

"It was really weird, about a quarter of a mile before the accident, I said, 'Wait, we forgot to put our seat belts on, my Mother will kill me.' Then a car was coming towards us in our lane, he swerved, and I
knew we got hit on the passenger side of the car, where I was sitting.

We got hit a total of three times because the car kept spinning in a circle. I felt his little brother's hand on my shoulder, holding me tightly in place. "But Mom, after it was all over, I could still feel the
hand on my shoulder.

I looked and his little brother had flown out the back window of the car, as we later found out, on the first spin.

"It was an angel, Mom, I know it!"

I knew it too, especially when we went the next day to look at the car, it had been split in half, right underneath my daughters seat. The driver of the other car, witnesses said, was traveling 90-95 miles per hour and the point of impact at that speed was directly at Kathleen's door. The police report stated that the car door was found fifty feet away from the accident scene, with theseat belt attached.

So when the door broke loose, "the hand" was the only thing that saved my daughter's life. The Lord, knew, long before I did that my child was in trouble, and I will always praise Him for saving her life and restoring mine.

I have been meaning to write this story for the past couple years. Kathleen just turned 21. While I was writing this I smiled and cried, but it's all true.

-- Barbara

Here is another experience to share on your page of an experience I had when I was Young Women's President in 1990 and 1991. These experiences happened on the same day a year apart. If that doesn't make
you think. Here goes: "You know that when you are called to work with the youth that there are many lessons learned in the experience of being a leader over those sweet spirits. In those lessons that we learn are some profound thoughts gained.
I was working with a young girl that had some abuse issues to deal with and this greatly tugged at my heart strings. Having been there myself I totally had empathy for her situation. In this young girl's
situation there were many issues to deal with, her self esteem, forgiveness, how others treated her and carrying that knowledge within herself that her life had changed to a dimension she would come to know
would soon change her life forever. As well as dealing with the anger and striving to understand the experience having happened to her. I spent long hours praying what could I do to show this young sister
in suffering how much she was valued by her Heavenly Father. One day I wrote her a letter sharing some scriptures and ones that I had hoped would comfort her. Those inspirations came to me on November 11, 1990
and it calmed my heart for awhile. But as I watch this young sister struggle and felt for her pain I further had her on my mind the whole year through. And again on the same day after I had retired to bed.
And being woke out of a sound sleep, not being able to get back to sleep this sister was on my mind. I spent time crying and praying and wondering what could I tell her, how could I help to lift the pain, how
could I convey to her how much she indeed was valued. Being in the dark a thought, that I know was not my own but sent by inspiration came to my mind and this was the thought: "The nothing I was in the eyes of others was the something I was in the eyes of God." I wrote it down on a bill on my dresser and then reread it in the morning. I was astonished at the words and at the time it had been given, being a year later to the date that I had written her a letter with intention of comfort.
I gave it to this young sister to have to remind her of her value. And it indeed reminds us each of our value. How small our minds are sometimes when we view things in one way and in other ways Heavenly
Father has a view of us in a different perspective than our own. It was a humbling experience and yet there was a lesson in it as well for myself. And the thankfulness that I experienced in my heart
for the value that Heavenly Father does place on us and grants us that grace how small we may be viewed in this life by others. In sharing this thought with you I hope you can feel the power of the message, the value that we are as we forge on in striving to be valiant members of this church.
I share this with you with the heartprints of my testimony that He indeed does value us."


Massimo's spiritual experiences
My first 2 years in the Church was really filled with plenty of wonderful spiritual experiences. The church in Italy was at it's beginnings, and the Lord was helping each one of us in unbelievable ways. I am going to make an account of the most important facts that were the base of my spirituality. After 10 months I was called to be a branch president. (I was the only man, this was the main and only reason) In my personal opinion, this is the best calling to learn about love. I was a young man, only 27 years old. I had no church background, no knowledge, no experience at all. I was depending directly on the Lord, and I received so many teachings that I can't count them. My district president was 100 miles away from me and my first counselor was an missionary elder, and this was his first experience too. The new converts, like me, had many troubles to face. Italy is a very challenging place to accept the Gospel. Tradition, culture, and your entire background rebel against you so strong that you need a pretty strong testimony to remain faithful. During the first 10 months I was a simple member, but when I became branch president and I had to take care of everybody. The job was not easy. In having interviews with my brothers and sisters I was discovering how weak they were. I was getting upset instead of being humble and lovely. Was I perfect? I remember very well, in this particular emotional state I went to pray thinking that at least I was the best. While I was praying in those feelings the voice of the Lord came to me: "I didn't call you to judge your brothers and sisters, I called you to help them and you can do that only in a way: loving them. If you think to be above them, go down and help them to reach the top of the mountain. They don't need to be yelled at, if you yell to them it means you don't love them. If you will have patience and try to be helpful, I promise to you they will love you and they will follow you and they will do that because of the love not for fear."

It was a good lesson.

Another one was with my little son (At that time) Claudio. He was a very lively boy, sometimes he made me crazy. Once I got upset with him and I told him:" I won't speak you anymore, it is useless! You don't listen to me." After a while I went to pray. I knelt and I begun to offer my feelings to the Lord. I felt that He was upset with me, but I didn't pay attention to this, I had many things to ask Him. Anytime I started my questions I could see in my mind the scene when I was rebuking my son, and the words I told him. For 3 times I tried to avoid this vision, but at the end I stopped my prayer and I was silent. Then the voice of the Lord came to me: "If I did like you are doing with your son, from how long should I have finished to talk to you?" Well I had to go to take my son in my arms. I was so sorry.

Another beautiful experience happened 10 years ago. I cannot explain the reason why I decided to leave the church. Maybe it was because it is too personal and involves other people, but I can explain what happened. I was always astonished why people like Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris and David Whitmer left the church after they had the vision of the golden plates and the angel. I thought, "It can't happen to me". The Lord gave me a dream soon after I was baptized, in which He told me that it could happen. I didn't pay a lot attention, but after 15 years it occurred. I knew the church was true, no doubt at all. Something happened, like in the dream I had. I made my decision. I called my branch president, my quorum president, the district leader of the missionaries and I told them my decision: "I will pay my tithing, I will keep the commandments, but I won't come in the church." Anyway, I promised to continue to study the scriptures and keep my prayers. After this I went to pray to the Lord and I told Him "Please forgive me, I know that you disagree with my decision, but please, I have to do this, I will take my responsibilities before you." The Lord told me: "Don't worry I can't push anyone to do something different from his will, it is contrary to the plan we have chosen to support." I felt Him very sad anyway. My decision was taken. It was a Sunday. The next Wednesday I was reading the Book of Mormon in third Nephi 11:10 "Behold I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophet testified shall come into the world"
I was thinking, "sure He was presenting Himself."
"And Behold I am the Light and the life of the World: and I HAVE DRUNK OUT THAT BITTER CUP WHICH THE FATHER HATH GIVEN TO ME......... I HAVE SUFFERED THE WILL OF THE FATHER IN ALL THINGS FROM THE BEGINNING." While I was reading this part of the verse, I really felt what He meant, and His voice came to me clearly: "Many times in my life I did things that I would have preferred not to do them, but I did them to accomplish the will of the Father. Do you remember my prayer in the Gethsemane? Please if you want take away this cup. Do you remember my words in D&C regarding this, it was a real terrible agony, it was not a pleasure and I fear it so much and when I was asking to take away the cup I was sincere. See now the consequences, I am like the Father, I won the world, I am God, it was well worth to do, do you agree? Nobody has a different choice. That was the path for me and it is the right path for everybody, so think about your choice and the consequences. You are building your eternity right here, right now, nobody is responsible for that only you. Think about it."

Well the next Sunday it was fast Sunday and I was asking to be forgiven from everybody, only the leaders understood what was going on. The church is true and I am so grateful that the Lord didn't abandon me, notwithstanding I was making the wrong decision and he gave me another proof of His love and mercy.


I read this online from a friend who heard this from a guest speaker to her ward; she related an experience her brother had on his mission that
exemplifies the Lord's love for each one of us.  Her brother has arthritis in both knees, and her parents feared sending him to his mission in Helsinki, Finland. they knew the cold would challenge him physically, and worried constantly. One foggy, cold morning, the young missionary was tracting with his companion when he heard a shout from the spirit in his ear, "RUN!" He and his companion took off running, neither of them even taking the time to glance at one another, just pumping their legs for all they were worth, straight ahead. They felt they should run as fast as possible toward the house at the end of the street. When they reached the steps of the house, a man staggered out the door and fell into their arms, weeping so hard they had to carry him into the house. When they managed to calm him down, he told them this story. That day was the worst he had ever had in his life. He had lost his job, his wife had left him, and he had n nothing left to live
for. He made up his mind to kill himself. Just before he put the gun to
his head, he experienced a bout of curiosity. He had been an
agnostic all his life, and suddenly he wondered if there was a God. He
knelt painfully and prayed for the first time in his life. He asked God, if He were indeed there, to send someone to help him. He waited a moment, and no one came, so he reached for the gun again. At that moment, he had a strong urge to look out the window. He rose and looked down the street, and there were two young men, ties and coats flapping, racing as fast as they could, straight for his home...messengers of God.

This story made me think of all the times I've let my "arthritis" keep me from listening to the spirit. How wonderful that this young man didn't.

I felt I just needed to share wonderful to be that in tune with
the spirit... I Pray that I may become more so each day.

This story is
true and has to do with listening to the Holy Ghost and His promptings.  " Awhile back about 1981 or so, I am recollecting it was then. I was on my way to do my usual grocery shopping. I had my oldest son, John, with me being about the age of 3 or 4 then. He was excited to go with mom and help me, he knew he would get a treat at the end.   On my usual route I stop at particular places in order because of locations. I have my usual stops because of the buys that I can get.
On my way in to the area where I would normally go, the place where I
would normally stop at first something told me to stop there first! I
am thinking that is crazy, this is my last stop. But I felt the impression that I should do it. So I made my left hand turn into the parking lot of that store and upon coming to a stop to park my car, my son's door fell open and he started to fall out of the car. It was then that I realized why I was prompted to make that stop. Had ignored that impression I would have turned into a much busier intersection and it could have been an awful situation had he fallen out at that intersection. He most likely would have been hit by another car.  Now you must realize that it was before in our state we had requirements on seatbelt laws and such. I thought he was belted in but he wasn't.  It was a lesson for me to pay attention to those promptings and heeding them, and what could have been an awful situation was thwarted by my paying attention to that. And I know that it was the Holy Ghost giving me protection and warning. I know that I was being watched over on that day."


Ron Cappelli

We lived in St. Louis, Missouri for a couple of years and my son had
become close friends to several of the youth in our ward. When we moved from there to Richmond, Virginia, it was hard for him to say goodby to those friends. Even after we had settled into a new ward and had made friends there, he still wanted to go back and visit his "old" friends.

When my son turned seventeen years old in the summer, we purchased him a 1982 Dodge. We did this because he had a construction job that took him to different sites almost every other day. Although I felt he was a good driver, within the first three months he had two minor fender-bender accidents and two speeding tickets. One was because he was late getting back home and was rushing to meet Dad's deadline.

In October he came to me and asked if I would allow him to drive to St. Louis to see his friends during the Christmas school vacation. Not only is it an 850 mile drive one way, but part of it is through the roughed mountains of West Virginia. I didn't think he had the skills, nor the money, nor a car trustworthy to make the trip there and back. I also had concerns that once out there, he might have the tendency to want to "show off" a little. Plus, I was concerned about him having a lot of unsupervised freedom to go and do whatever HE wanted. For these reasons I told him my answer was "no."

Obviously, he objected to all my concerns, and needless to say, the
conversation was a long one. I quickly found myself trying to reason
with someone who's mind was already made up. As such I ended up having to defend each of my reasons. When I pointed out that his driving record wasn't so good, he countered that he had faith that the Lord would protect him. I immediately asked him how come the Lord didn't help him from having two accidents and two speeding tickets. He said that it was because the Lord was teaching him to trust in Him. He then explained how things could have been worse, but how everything had worked out well for him in all four cases. "You see, dad," he reasoned, "the Lord was teaching me that if I just trust in him, everything works out fine." He had me on that argument.

I went over the other points of concern and he countered everyone of
them with equal reasoning. He had already saved up enough money for the trip. We had traveled back and forth along that route every Christmas ourselves, so he knew the road conditions. For over four months his car hadn't had one mechanical problem, and as far as his unsupervised behavior was concerned, I got the typical, "Don't you trust me to do what's right?" answer.

I could see I wasn't making any headway on this argument, but I still
didn't feel comfortable letting him go. I didn't want to seem
hard-headed and irrational by simply asserting my authority. That would have only angered him and "proven" - in his mind - that he was right and that I was just being unreasonable. Finally, to end the discussion, I told him I would pray about the matter and see what the Lord wanted me to do. But he was skeptical of this. He was sure that I was already deadset against him going and therefore he felt that the "Lord's answer" would actually be "my answer."

That night, during my evening prayers, I asked God to help me know what to say to my son. I sincerely prayed that His will be done, not mine. If it was all right in God's eyes for my son to make the trip, I needed to have that confirmed to me. On the other hand, if the answer to my son's request was "no" then I needed an answer that would satisfy him, although, I could not imagine any negative answer on my part appeasing him. On the other hand, if the answer was "yes," then it would seem that he had been right all along and that I had indeed been treating him like a child rather than the adult he thought he was. I felt like I was in a no-win situation.

The next morning as I drove to work, I again contemplated my dilemma and once again prayed to the Lord for help. Suddenly, I heard a voice inside me say, "Tell him to trust in the Lord." Immediately, I knew I had my answer.

That night I sat down with my son and told him I had prayed to the Lord and he had told me what to do. I could see the look of suspicion in his eyes. Then I reminded him of what he had said about why he had the accidents and the speeding tickets. He remembered it well. The Lord was teaching him to trust in God. Then I said, "Concerning your trip to St. Louis, the Lord told me to tell you to put your trust in Him. If things work out so that you end up going, then you'll know it was suppose to happen. If things don't work out and you end up spending Christmas here, then you'll know that's the Lord's will."

He thought about that for a few seconds and then said, "I can accept that."

I was totally amazed by his reaction. I was all set to defend myself, but, instead, suddenly I was no longer the "bad guy." In addition to that, I no longer had to worry about ruining my relationship with my son because of my concerns.

In early December my son went to traffic court and was given a restricted license because of his speeding tickets. That meant he could only drive back and forth from home to school or his job. It also meant
that he couldn't drive out of the state of Virginia, thereby preventing him from going to St. Louis on his own.

Later that month we all spent an enjoyable Christmas together. I felt better knowing my son wasn't somewhere hundreds of miles away, and at the same time, my son he didn't hold any resentment toward me or God for not being able to realize his dream.

The Lord had indeed answered my prayer fully and completely.

He was in the first third grade class I taught at Saint Mary's School in Morris, Minn. All 34 of my students were dear to me, but Mark Eklund was one in a million. Very neat in appearance, but had that happy-to-be-alive attitude that made even his occasional mischievousness delightful. Mark talked incessantly. I had to remind him again and again that talking without permission was not acceptable. What impressed me so much, though, was his sincere response every time I had to correct him for misbehaving "Thank you for correcting me, Sister!" I didn't know what to make of it at first, but before long I became accustomed to hearing it many times a day.  One morning my patience was growing thin when Mark talked once too often, and then I made a novice-teacher's mistake. I looked at him and said, "If you say one more word, I am going to tape your mouth shut!" It wasn't ten seconds later when Chuck blurted out, "Mark is talking again." I hadn't asked any of the students to help me watch Mark, but since I had stated the punishment in front of the class, I had to act on it. I remember the scene as if it had occurred this morning. I walked to my desk, very deliberately opened my drawer and took out a roll of masking tape. Without saying a word, I proceeded to Mark's desk, tore off two pieces of tape and made a big X with them over his mouth. I then returned to the front of the room.  As I glanced at Mark to see how he was doing he winked at me. That did it! I started laughing. The class cheered as I walked back to Mark's desk, removed the tape and shrugged my shoulders. His first words were, "Thank you for correcting me, Sister." At the end of the year I was asked to teach junior-high math. The years flew by, and before I knew it Mark was in my classroom again. He was more handsome than ever and just as polite. Since he had to listen carefully to my instructions in the "new math," he did not talk as much in ninth grade as he had in the third. One Friday, things just didn't feel right. We had worked hard on a new concept all week, and I sensed that the students were frowning, frustrated with themselves - and edgy with one another. I had to stop this crankiness before it got out of hand. So I asked them to list the names of the other students in the room on two sheets of paper, leaving a space between each name. Then I told them to think
of the nicest thing they could say about each of their classmates and write it down.   It took the remainder of the class period to finish the assignment, and as the students left the room, each one handed me the papers. Charlie smiled.  Mark said, "Thank you for teaching me, Sister. Have a good weekend."  That Saturday, I wrote down the name of each student on a separate sheet of paper, and I listed what everyone else had said about that individual.  On Monday I gave each student his or her list. Before long, the entire class was smiling. "Really?" I heard whispered. "I never knew that meant anything to anyone!" "I didn't know others liked me so much!"  No one ever mentioned those papers in class again. I never knew if they discussed them after class or with their parents, but it didn't matter.   The exercise had accomplished its purpose. The students were happy with themselves and one another again. That group of students moved on.  Several years later, after I returned from vacation, my parents met me at the airport. As we were driving home, Mother asked me the usual questions about the trip - the weather, my experiences in general. There was a light lull in the conversation. Mother gave Dad a side-ways glance and simply says, "Dad?" My father cleared his throat as he usually did before something important. "The Eklunds called last night," he began.
"Really?" I said. "I haven't heard from them in years. I wonder how Mark is." Dad responded quietly. "Mark was killed in Vietnam," he said. "The funeral is tomorrow, and his parents would like it if you could attend." To this day I can still point to the exact spot on I-494 where Dad told me about Mark.   I had never seen a serviceman in a military coffin before. Mark looked so handsome, so mature. All I could think at that moment was, Mark, I would give all the masking tape in the world if only you would talk to me. The church was packed with Mark's friends. Chuck's sister sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Why did it have to rain on the day of the funeral? It was difficult enough at the graveside. The pastor said the usual prayers, and the bugler played taps. One by one those who loved Mark took a last walk by the coffin and sprinkled it with holy water. I was the last one to bless the coffin. As I stood there, one of the soldiers who had acted as pallbearer came up to me. "Were you Mark's math teacher?" he asked. I nodded as I continued to stare at the coffin. "Mark talked about you a lot," he said. After the funeral, most of Mark's former classmates headed to Chuck's farmhouse for lunch. Mark's mother and father were there, obviously waiting for me.
"We want to show you something," his father said, taking a wallet out of his pocket. "They found this on Mark when he was killed. We thought you might recognize it."  Opening the billfold, he carefully removed two worn pieces of notebook paper that had obviously been taped, folded and refolded many times. I knew without looking that the papers were the ones on which I had listed all the good things each of Mark's classmates had said about him. "Thank you so much for doing that" Mark's mother said. "As you can see, Mark treasured it."
Mark's classmates started to gather around us. Charlie smiled rather
sheepishly and said, "I still have my list. It's in the top drawer of my
desk at home." Chuck's wife said, "Chuck asked me to put this in our
wedding album." "I have mine too," Marilyn said. "It's in my diary."
Then Vicki, another classmate, reached into her pocketbook, took out her wallet and showed her worn and frazzled list to the group. "I carry this with me at all times," Vicki said without batting an eyelash. "I think we all saved our lists."That's when I finally sat down and cried. I cried for Mark and for all his friends who would never see him again.

Written by: Sister Helen P. Mrosia
The purpose of this letter is to encourage everyone to compliment the
people you love and care about. We often tend to forget the importance of showing our affections and love. Sometimes the smallest of things could mean the most to another. I am asking you, to please send this letter around and spread the message and encouragement, to express your love and caring by complimenting and being open with communication. The density Beginning with my earliest memories as a child, there have been numerous times when I have needed help, have prayed, and have received what I asked for. This gave me a fairly early testimony of the power of prayer and a Heavenly Father that listens.

I have always been interested in my Family History, and have been active in research since I was around 13/14. There have been times when I know that I have been directly guided to the information I seek. The most notable time was when I was first collecting information from research already done. I was looking for a family group record in the archive section, and was not finding a chart that I knew should be there. I looked and I looked, but could not find the record. Disappointed, I finally decided to move on. As I was flipping the pages in groups to shut the book, one of the flips I made exposed the very sheet I was looking for, completely out of order. That experience and the other helps I have received has given me a firm testimony of family research and temple work.

There have been times when I have known before it was announced, who was going to be a new local leader. The one I remember the best, occurred two years ago when they made us a Stake. I knew on the day they made us a stake, who our Patriarch was going to be. Several months later when he was called, it confirmed what I had already known. Through these experiences, I gained a testimony of the reality of revelation and of the men called to preside over us.

A testimony of the power of the Priesthood came with my 1st and 3rd children, both of which had problems after birth. The first became very Jaundiced, and I believe that the blessing I gave her, shortend her extended stay in the hospital. My third child, also a daughter, stopped breathing and turned blue. A blessing prevented it from occurring again and they never did figure out why she stopped breathing in the first place. There have been other blessings too that have seen immediate results.  Probably my most dramatic event occurred a year ago last august while we were on vacation. We went to Salt Lake to visit family there, and then went north to southern Alberta, Canada for a family reunion. After traveling the hundreds of miles at high speeds on the freeway (but within the speed limits), we arrived at my cousin's
home. As we pulled up in front of his house we heard a clunk. On further examination, it was found that the bolt holding the upper ball joint on the front passenger side wheel had broken off. There was absolutely no reason for it to break at that point as there was no chuck hole or anything there to jar it. It just fell off. If it had fallen off while traveling, there is no dought that I would have lost control of the car, and most likely we would have all been killed. I know beyond a shadow of dought that the break took place somewhere along the road, and that it was literally held together by the power of God until such time as we were safe from harm. This further strengthened my testimony of prayer, and the power of the Lord to protect us from harm.

These are a few of the events which have shaped my testimony.

I have a couple of experiences that have solidified my testimony, and they all happened in the same week. A week before I went through the temple, I had dreams about what I would do inside the temple. I didn't know anything about the temple, but in my dreams I saw specific rooms and stuff. The day came for me to go, and as I was about to walk through the gate to go in, I heard a voice behind me say "don't go in there.". I looked around and no one was in there. I heard the voice in my head, so I knew it wasn't the holy ghost, but someone else who didn't want me to go and receive my endowments. Afterwards I knew why. I had never felt the spirit so strong in my life. After we left the temple, I literally felt like I was glowing. I felt like I could light up a dark room. That was a definite tangible experience for me that confirmed that God lives and that this is His church. The next day I got my patriarchal blessing, and that just added to it. I'm very grateful to be a part of this church, and it makes me feel great to know that there are others who love it, and receive the same blessings I do from being part of it.

Kelly alias Moroni.

Last Updated on Sunday, 16 May 2010 19:17  

site info

Members : 13836
Content : 381
Web Links : 6
Content View Hits : 890407

Who is online

We have 11 guests online

Adam's progenitors

Massimo Franceschini Adam's progenitors?

Secret paradise

Massimo Franceschini Secret Paradise

Hidden truths in the Bible. Volume 1

Hidden truths in the Bible. Volume 1